Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Act 1.3 cont'd

The man and woman return to the bar, Steve greets them

Steve: Welcome back, I hope you enjoyed your day.

Woman: Matt certainly did; “oh, is there a launch?” What a crock. It's why we came, only I wasn't in on it.

Matt (Man): Anne . . . .

Anne (Woman): (to Steve) Don't worry dear we won't make a scene (glances around) any tables left?

Steve: One just opened up (he crosses to Marie and talks she nods, Steve returns) This way.

Anne: You didn't make her move for us....she could join us.

Steve: Truly she was leaving (Marie is just stepping away)

Anne: Please, dear, you're welcome to stay if you wish.

Marie: Non, thank you...I was just recovering from a departure (she heads into the bar).

Anne: From a departure?

Matt: Anne, it's not our business

Steve: Marie will be fine madame, chardonnay?

Anne: Oh, hmm, yes, thank you.

Steve: And monsieur?

Matt: Oh, let's go tropical. How about a daiquiri?

Steve: Oui (departs)

Matt: Anne, I thought you'd like it here. Yes, I knew about the launch, but I really thought you'd like it here and that it was just a bonus.

Anne: That's not the problem. The problem is that you didn't say that before we came. That you didn't think you could. Am I such a shrew?

Matt: No. … But, you seem to think I never think of you, or that I only think of myself, so if I'd said what I just said, you'd have dismissed Guiana as being of any interest. You wouldn't like it on principle, because you wouldn't believe that I actually did think you'd like it here.

Anne: God, there are so many things wrong with that. . . you think I'm so stupid I wouldn't figure it out?

Matt: I don't think you're stupid. Of course you'd figure it out, but I hoped we'd be here a few days first and you'd decide on your own you did like it.

Steve (returning with drinks): Madame, monsieur. Anything else?

Matt: No, thanks. Not for me. Anne?

Anne: (cooly) I'm fine. Thanks for asking.

Steve: Very good...

Matt: Say, you're American right? What's your name?

Anne: You think only Americans have names?

Steve: Yes, I am. It's Steve.

Matt: Hi Steve, Matt. Sorry, bit of a tiff...

Anne: Thanks for sharing . . .

Steve: If you need anything else, just ask . . .

Anne: One moment, if she wants one, buy Marie a drink on me.

Steve: Yes, madame. (exits, in the background we see him talk to Marie and gesture to the table).

Matt: Bonding or trying to pick her up?

Anne: (shrugs ala parisienne) Just showing I like it here.

Matt: Fine. I thought I'd go up to the spaceport tomorrow do the tour before the big day.

Anne: I'll go to the beach, or maybe go up to Cayenne and shop.

Matt: Okay. . . You can come with me.

Anne: Can I? (then kindly) Matt, you've got your chance, go visit. I'll watch the launch with you, but the rest really doesn't interest me. It's ok.

Matt: I need to get up early to get there. Shall we head back to the hotel?

Anne: Do you mind if I stay a bit? It's two blocks, I'll be fine. I'll take a taxi if you want.

Matt: I can stay.

Anne: And you can go. You want me to enjoy it, let me enjoy it. I like sitting out here; you want your rest.

Matt: Ok...you sure?

Anne: (leans over and kisses him) I'm sure. It's ok.
(Matt leaves)

Scene 4

(and after a moment Marie comes over)

Marie (lifiting her glass slightly): Thank you. I've never had someone by me a drink before.

Anne: That's hard to believe.

Marie: Well, friends yes, but not a stranger.

Anne: Sit?

Marie (sitting): You too have a departure?

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment