Sunday, May 29, 2011

Conversations 5 (Day 9)



Conversations 5 (day 9)

Mdala: Just water please. (Steve departs) Senegal. I came here 14 years ago to help build a hydroelectric plant. I'd meant to go home and work there, but another project came along...and probably more importantly, a woman.

Matt: Ah.

Mdala: It didn't last, or lasted only long enough for me to settle here. Now perhaps it's time to go. There is work to be done in my homeland, and sitting here protesting something that is not going to change in a country that is not really mine does not make sense.

Matt: You could stop protesting (he smiles and holds up his hand), I know.

Mdala: What do you protest?

Matt: What do I protest?

Mdala: Surely there is something in your world you think should change.

Matt: Well, I guess so, sure.

Mdala: So what do you do to make that change?

Matt (pausing): I guess I don't.

Mdala (waits for him to continue and speaks only when he does not do so): Then why live?

No comments:

Post a Comment