Friday, May 27, 2011

Act 1.3 (day 7)

Scene 3
Later that same evening. The stage has rotated to forefront the tables again. The man and woman are back. The musicians are on break. Monsieur wins a game of solitaire. Gil approaches Monsieur drink in hand.

Gil: Monsieur. Celeste says you don't mistake one circumstance for another.

Monsieur (pausing in laying out another hand): Monsieur Gil, n'est ce pas? I am not sure what Celeste meant, but if it means I'm compos mentis, I would like to think so.

Gil: Clever. You sit here everyday and watch everyone and lately it seems taken up philosophy with typically philosophical opaqueness.

Monsieur: I am aware of commenting only on the idea of a new era. I apologize for interrupting your conversation.

Gil: See. You never confront anything directly.

Monsieur: Monsieur Gil, I am an old man. If you are hoping to start a fight you will have to find some one younger—and in another bar.

Gil: Are you throwing me out? YOU... (Marie and Celeste approach).

Marie: Gil, can we talk?

Gil (looks at Marie and Celeste and realizes he has crossed a line. He looks back to Monsieur): Pardon Monsieur. I am upset.

Monsieur: Of course, please do not think of it.

Marie:  Come on Gil. (they find a table). It's awful, but it's not the end. I don't understand why you seem intent on just giving up.

Gil: I've got a deadly disease and whether they cure it or not, I get gelded in the process. What's the upside?

Marie: Maybe that I'm still here. We're still here. Lance Armstrong won most of his Tours after he had it and he became a dad. Gil I love you, why are you quitting?

Gil: Armstrong used dope. He didn't get that baby the old fashioned way. I don't want to take up biking.

Marie: (standing) I'm glad I wasn't in that response. I'm here Gil, but (sits) Gil, I don't think this is about cancer.

Gil: Oh great, cancer isn't a good enough reason to be upset. I must have other issues. I need space. (exit)


No comments:

Post a Comment