Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4.1 begins day 46

Act IV

scene 1

Morning: the first day of the rest of their lives. They have arrived at the bar unplanned, but where else would they go. It is doubtful Celeste has ever left, he simply provides coffee as they arrive, there is also wine. If arrivals are staged, Jeanette should either be there from the start or be first to arrive. Then Steve, Marie and Gil, Anne first followed very shortly by Matt, and finally, hesitantly, Jacob. The initial lines by all are not conversations, but ejaculations blurted out semi-consciously.

Steve: I fucked up.

Jeanette (pouring herself a glass of wine and returning to her coffee): I suppose it is stupid to say I loved him, but what else do you call it? It's like saying you love the sun or water or breathing. Of course you do.

Matt: I miss Mdala. Isn't that weird, but he should be here somehow.

Marie (fingering the cross at her neck murmuring prayers): I know Monsieur, but it comforts me and it doesn't really matter whether you believed or not. I think you never worried that we saw it differently.

Gil: So tell me if it's a choice does that make all death suicide?

Anne: How did we not know? Shouldn't you just know? I mean . . . if you can't tell . . .

Celeste (coming out to the group): Ok. Steve, are you still working? (Steve looks up questioningly) Are you quitting or are you still on staff?

Steve: What are you talking about? Jesus Christ he's dead.

Celeste: And not going to rise again. But I don't want the business to go down with him.

Jacob: Surely you aren't actually going to open?

Celeste: Is that a cup of coffee in your hand? (Startled Jacob drops it, Marie jumps up and runs in to grab a broom, Steve sits shaking his head)

Jacob: S. . s. . .sorry, I . . .I

Celeste: I'm not going to open, I am open. It's all free today, but I'm open. And tomorrow, we go on.

Marie (returning with broom and dust pan, which Steve grabs and holds while she sweeps): Celeste, surely there will be a funeral?

Celeste: Long ago, he and I, we pledged. He will be cremated, the ashes will be scattered.

Jacob: But a service?

Celeste: You're at it. Steve?

Steve: Sure of course, coming. No. Fuck it. No. This is the service, then fine. Here's my salute to you Monsieur, a choice. No.

Marie (quietly): I could use a job Celeste.

Celeste: Bien.
Steve: That's it? Now she's the waiter?

Celeste: Do not worry, your pay will come to you.

Steve: My pay? I've worked here for what three years and you just . . .

Celeste: You said no, n'est-ce pas?

Steve: Yes, but, I thought you might acknowledge my existence.

Jeanette (trying to calm him down): Steve, he's dealing with a lot.

Steve: Aren't we all? He's the one who's acting like nothing has happened.

Marie: Steve, if you want to stay on . . .

Steve: Jesus, no, it's not about the fucking job!

Jacob: Perhaps we all should

Steve: Who the fuck are you!?

Anne (in full mother mode): Enough, Steve. Sti down. Everyone's upset. I know you don't mean to make it about you, so don't. (Steve starts to respond, sits head in hands).

2 comments:

  1. This is really powerful. I am sad about this too, dammit! How did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the way you've laid it out here, the characters together and yet each in their own separate space. It's how we all deal.

    ReplyDelete