Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 51

Staggering toward closure. Lots of distraction this past week, but much editing would be needed no matter what I'm sure. The dialogue is loose but the end draws nigh.


4.2 cont'd


Matt: As conversations. Obviously I disagreed with his position, but it's not like we were fighting.

Police: So you wouldn't characterize him as radical in these conversations either?

Matt: Well no. No, he was always quite calm when we talked.

Police: So, you didn't perceive him as a threat.

Matt: Well, no. No, actually, I liked him.

Police (to Jeanette): And you?

Jeanette: The same. He was nice.

Anne: But if he didn't . . . and where is he?

Police: He is being released. The “bomb” appears to have been a hand grenade rolled under his car. When were you planning on leaving monsieur?

Matt: Leave? Oh, not for another few days (glances at Anne) I left a few days open in case it was delayed.

Police: Did you expect it to be delayed?

Matt: It's a launch, 60% of all launches get rescheduled.

Police: You seem to have quite detailed . . .

Jeanette: Anyone who pays any attention to launches could tell you that officer. You'd be a fool to try and visit a launch and expect it to go off on time. Every travel agent in the world will tell you that.

Police: Yes, of course. Ah, and here is Monsieur Mdala.

Mdala enters and approaches Celeste.

Mdala: Monsieur, only now as I was approaching did I hear the news. I am so sorry. I barely knew him of course, but, well I suppose anytime you meet someone who has lived so long . . .

Celeste: Yes, there is something . . . something about it, regardless of who they are.

Mdala: Wisdom.

Celeste: Oui, that is the word. We also have just heard that our understanding of yesterday's events was mistaken. (glances at everyone) And perhaps had our wisdom shaken.

Mdala: (looking around): Surely none of you thought I had done it? I told them to talk to you. I was sure you would assure them of such.

No comments:

Post a Comment