Sunday, July 17, 2011

DAY 58 Coast Walk day 4

ENTRY FOUR

FRIDAY JULY 24, 1931
We had a pretty fair night's rest and got up about six or six thirty. Matt made firel while I had a warm shower and put on clean clothes. Then Matt showered while I finished making toilette and started breakfast.
The breakfast was terrible – all we had was rolled oats and bacon and Matt had a laugh at my grumbles while I washed dishes.
Then I washed our soiled clothes while Matt wrote the list of food to buy. We shall mail what clothes we do not need to Reedsport.
According to our map there is a road along the North Spit to beyond Ten Mile Creek which is but 8 miles this side of Winchester Bay. So perhaps we shall follow our original plans.
Matt has gond down now to the bay to see if he can catch a fish for our dinner. I'm hungry already.
We had much argument this as to what was the wisest food to pack.
Dinner of oatmeal cookies, milk and cheese
To town this Pm for provisions and mailed our excess baggage.
Started our real Hike about 2:30 Pm – got half way across the RR bridge when we discovered the draw was open. As there were no boats in sight we didn't understand this and wondered whether it was done to keep us from crossing. We had much argument as to the purpose and as to what we should do. Meantime I took some pictures and we sat on the steps near the gate for the draw – it was the pivot type.
Finally we thought they would not close except for a train so we started back. A man yelled something and signalled with his hands but we couldn't make out the [fe?] meaning. Finally, I heard something about 15 minutes and he held up 2 hands and one hand so we waited and sure enough just before four o'clock they closed the bridge.
It seems there are but few trains and many boats passing so it is cheaper to operate the bridge by leaving it open for boats and closing only when trains are due or the men change shift.
Once across the bridge we started out over the sand dunes. The shifting sand was soft and dry and hot, the sun glaring and the packs heavy.
Matt helped me up some of the sand dunes where we slid back half a step for every step we took. Finally we reached the wooded dunes which were at leas shady. One thing favorable was a good stiff breeze all the time.
The wooded dunes probed to be a dense jungle with low meadows between where deer and bear track could be seen plainly.
I required frequent rest stops.
The woods became jungles we penetrated only by luck of good weather and Matt's youthful optimism. Toward the last he used the hatchet freely.
Once I blundered into a next of yello-jackets and was immediately swarmed. I picked the first one off only to be covered by a host of others. I yelled for Matt and walked or fell back leaving my pack and Matt came to the rescue with the first aide kit. One sting on my cheek, one on my finger and one on my wrist. They didn't swell much thanks to the first aide.
Finally the sun began to get low so we set camp in a dry peaceful meadow. Where the animal trail crossed between the last rows of wooded sand dunes. We could hear the roar of the ocean on one side and the toot of a train on the other.
Dinner of Apples, fruit juice in water, cookies bread bread and cheese.
No disturbance during the night.
I had a time combing the woods and leaves out of my hair.




 

1 comment:

  1. I do admire them; for the food alone I would have turned back!

    ReplyDelete