Monday, July 4, 2011

day 45

A little editing to the end of yesterday's contribution:

Matt: But maybe Mdala was right about something. . . If you aren't doing something, you're lashing out at everything else. I think that's what we're both doing.

Celeste: I think Monsieur puts it better. You have to make whatever you're doing a choice. He said Gil's suicide was because he thought life was a given, so the only choice was death.

Matt: So, Anne and I fight because we think it's the only option?

(Noises off: Anne, Marie, Gil, and Jacob enter)

Anne: We're back, en force! (Celeste rises and crosses to his post at the bar, glances at the sleeping Monsieur and puts his finger to his lips to the incoming group, who nod and somewhat quietly make their way to the patio area.)


And then on to the rest of today's work



Celeste: Welcome back Gil.

Gil: Thank you Celeste, where's Steve? I think I owe him an apology.

Celeste: Ah! That reminds me, we owe you something. (Celeste pulls money from his pocket) It seems you did leave more here than we thought (Celeste looks challengingly at Jacob, who says nothing).

Gil: Oh, good. (with weak humor) That will help with the hospital bills and court costs. (Marie pats his shoulder reassuringly, and he reaches up and holds her hand). Oh, yeah and the college fund. (Matt and Anne in particular laugh). But where is Steve?

Marie: It's crazy. He's in jail.

Gil: Steve? Jail? They deporting him?

Marie: Something inspired him to do “good” in the world and he made a disturbance at Madame Aurelia's.

Gil: Joke right? Really? Steve?

Jacob: I hope I didn't provoke that.

Celeste: Why not? It seems right up your line.

Jacob: Monsieur Celeste, I came back tonight at the encouraging of your friends here. I apologize for our earlier arguments. (glances over) Indeed, I came back to apologize to Monsieur in particular because I realized something at the hospital. They said I collapsed because of dehydration, that I could have died if no one had attended to me.

Celeste: N'importe, when someone falls ill in your place of business of course you call for help.

Jacob: (shakes his head) My point wasn't to thank Monsieur or you for your common courtesy, but I realized that I could in fact die, and that this death, potential death, was entirely in my hands. (Celeste takes more interest, and Jacob responds) I have not changed my belief in God nor his beneficence, but Monsieur was right. I was not using his gift of life to any end other than saying, “look at me.” So, I'm going to try to use that gift to some better purpose.

Celeste: Aha, like Steve, you will now go save the women at Madame Aurlelia's?

Jacob (actually laughs): No Celeste—or not like that. I want to do something . . . well to take that example, I could work with Steve to set up some alternative to their current business. Something that they could choose to do or not do. I want to do some good in the world, but not by telling people what to do.

Gil: That sounds good, Jacob. But none of this explains why Steve is still in jail.

Celeste: Because Steve is a pig-headed . . .

Jeanette: (entering with Steve): fool, but mainly because an equally pig-headed frenchman instead of a woman went to bail him out. (Steve waves somewhat meekly toward them all and they cluster around saying hello, Steve finally breaks away and crosses to Monsieur).

Steve: Monsieur, Monsieur. I apologize. I only half understood what you said. I don't mind making a fool of myself but I've broght trouble to you too. Monsieur? Monsieur? (reaches out to him and looks around at the others) How long? Why is he? Don't you know? (everyone starts to react) He's dead.

Lights to black the roar of rocket engines and a flare of light captures the tableau of the them all gathered around him

Lights Out

Act IV

1 comment:

  1. Well now, that's exciting! But reading may be different than the stage; will an audience not notice more readily than a reader? Then again, my family cleared the table and set up for coffee and dessert before noticing my uncle was not merely asleep.

    ReplyDelete