Thursday, June 9, 2011

2.2 for day 20

Scene 2
Lights up and Celeste is preparing the bar and talking

Jeanette (entering and going to the bar): Celeste! Bon Matin! The day is beautiful no? I am meeting the American to go back to the space centre. Coffee s'il vous plait et le petite burre.

Celeste: Bon Jour Celeste. Yes, it is a beautiful morning. I do not understand your obsession, but I'm glad you are happy. (hands coffee and cake) But is this so wise? The going with the American man? His wife?

Jeanette: She is the one who asked me to take him.

Celeste: Just because people say things, they do not necessarily mean them or want them.

Jeanette: Celeste, I'm getting a ride to the space center, I'm happy to show him around in exchange. I'm not going to seduce him. Unh, he's old Celeste.

Celeste (smiling): I'm older.

Jeanette: And you're French and if I ever made a move on you, you would be so offended and righteous and telling me how you love your wife...

Celeste (shrugs): Doesn't mean I want to be written off completely....

Jeanette: Enough. Ah, here they come (she leans in to him). Look if it looks bad I just won't do it, ok? (Celeste nods approvingly) Bon Jour Madame, Monsieur!

Anne: Ah, bon jour Jeanette, please call me Anne.

Jeanette: Anne (she gives her the obligatory cheek pecks). Monsieur (shakes hands)

Matt: Please, call me Matt. (there's an awkward moment where Matt seems to lean in for cheek pecks that don't happen. Then they sit at a table out front)

Anne: Do they serve breakfast of any sort?

Jeanette: Some pastries, cheese, fruit, the usual.

Matt: I miss real breakfasts.

Jeanette: These things, they are not real?

Matt: Bacon, eggs, pancakes, that sort of thing.

Jeanette: you can get these things in the hotels.

Matt: My wife doesn't like big hotels—likes to go native, except it really isn't, it's just not the Marriot or whatever.

Anne: I freely confess to wanting it both ways. I don't see Steve--does everybody work 16 hour shifts here?

Jeanette: I suppose people work as they need to. Steve does not come in usually till around noon. If you'd like something you can go to the bar, or if you like, I can get it for you.

Anne: Cheese, fruit, and pastries sounds irresistible; why don't you help her Matt?

Jeanette is clearly surprised both by the acceptance of her as wait staff and the assignment of Matt as busboy.

Jeanette: D'accord. Matt, shall we (she gestures to the bar, and Matt crosses to it with her. As they go up, Marie arrives).

Marie: Bon Jour (hesitates a moment before using the name) Anne.

Anne: Bon jour Marie, comment allez vous?

Marie: Ça va....I haven't seen Gil this morning, and I'm concerned. I'm concerned in general I guess.

Anne: Of course. Do you want anything? Matt and Jeanette are fetching.

Marie (glances): Oh, some coffee (calling to her) Jeanette, café et compote s'il vous plait. (Jeanette waves) So, what do you want to shop for?

Anne: Oh, I'm not shopping for anything, I'm just shopping—it's sport.

Jeanette and Matt return with a tray with coffees and one with bread, cheese, fruit and Marie's compote. They serve it out and sit down so Matt is between Marie and Jeanette.

Anne: This is lovely, thank you.

Jeanette (to Matt and Anne): No, thank you for hosting.

Anne: Our pleasure. So what are our travel arrangements?

Matt: Oh, I assumed we would take the car...but, I suppose you should have it if you are shopping.

Jeanette (disappointed in losing access to a car) Vraiment? But, of course, well (pulls out her phone and checks the time), if we are taking the bus, we need to go now.

Matt: Really? We don't have time to eat?

Marie: We can take my car. It is not fancy, but...

Matt: Could you? We'd be happy to buy the gas.

Jeanette: That would be nicer all around

Anne (smiles): Of course, your car it is Marie.

Gil appears.

Marie: Gil! Where have you been? (runs to him) I was worried.

Gil (obviously sleep deprived and distracted): Were you? I crashed at my place. (Looks at the group) So what's going on?

Marie: Oh, Matt and Jeanette are going up to the space center and Anne asked me to take her shopping in Cayenne....but if you'd like...

Gil: Non, that sounds good. You should go. That would be nice. I really should keep working. You know...I should get back really.

Matt: Would you like something? Happy to have you join us.

Gil: Ah, non, monsieur, merci, but I will get some coffee and go home. I, I want to keep working (he gives Marie a peck and goes into the bar. Marie, watches him and returns to the group)

Jeanette: It is good Marie. If he is working, let him work. (Marie nods)

Anne: Yes, let him work, we'll do some shopping. If you'd like we can all have dinner later. (murmurs of agreement).

Gil comes back out, Marie steps to him, a quick embrace, he leaves. As he does so Monsieur appears inside and watches him go and looks at the group-–lights fade out.

2 comments:

  1. I like the interplay that's going on below the surface with these couples. It is quite intriguing. I'm still in awe how the plot advances through dialogue though the movement of "waitstaffing" does add a lot of interest and opportunity.

    One thing that may have the wrong name: "Marie: Oh, Matt and Jeanette are going up to the space center and Marie asked me to take her shopping in Cayenne....but if you'd like.."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for catching that! Plot through dialogue is the great challenge of playwriting--I try to teach that in survey of lit all the time, but it's hard to get students to see it--they realize there's no narrator, but they still don't quite get what a difference that makes.

    ReplyDelete