Sunday, June 19, 2011

To drame or not to drame (day 30)

As we ended two days ago:

Celeste: Some try to live by being saved. They get religion. Religion offers forgiveness, it offers hope. It says some other day, somewhere else, it will be ok—it will be good. The problem is that isn't living. For some, it can be enough to last until they get out. For most it is a way of putting off existing or wasting away. But if they don't get out, one of the other two will happen. Because to live, you have to figure out how to make now work. Not someday.

We continue with one option:

Marie entering screaming

Marie: Steve, Celsete, Monsieur he's dead.

Steve: Who? Gil?

Marie nodding crying: Yes. He called, I went to his place and waited. He never came, so I finally went looking. I walked most of the way back here, then something made me go down to the beach. He was there by the rocks. He's been shot.

Steve: Shot!? (looking around) Did anyone hear anything? (shaking of heads). Jesus.

Monsieur (shaken): Was there a gun?

Celeste: Did you move him? Do anything?

Marie: I don't know. I knelt down nest to him. I thought he'd passed out. I put my hand on his chest and there was blood...I don't know just what I did then.

Steve: We need to call the police.

Monsieur: N...yes, you are right.

Steve (calling): Yes, there's been a shooting. Steve Diehl. I'm a waiter at the Dolphin. Guilbert Merritt. Dead. His girlfriend found him on the beach. No, she came here to find help; we are all friends. Yes. Of course. (A siren is heard)

Lights out

Une autre possibiliƩ:

Marie entering screaming

Marie: Steve, Celsete, Monsieur he's dead.

Steve: Who? Gil?

Marie (nodding crying, shaking head): Gil? No. That, that priest.

Steve: Priest?

Marie: The one who was here, whatever you call them.

Steve: That Jacob guy?

Marie: Yes, yes, he's dead.

Celeste: Where? How? Where's Gil?

Marie: Gil's home, his place, I went out to get some aspirin, and he was at our corner by the streetlight, sitting. I started to cross the street to go around him, but...something made me go check. He's not breathing.

Celeste (bringing a glass of water): Have you called the police? Are you sure he's dead?

Marie: I, I think so. He was limp, cold, wasn't breathing. I don't know I never touched a dead person.

Steve: Yes, I'm reporting a dead body. Yes, a friend found it, him. Steve Diehl. Marie Vibert found him near her boyfriend's apartment, she ran to us....I'm a waiter at the The Dolphin....yes, she was scared. I don't know. We believe it's a person who goes by Reverend Jacob. He had stopped in earlier and left a poster for a service he held tonight. Yes....Marie which corner was he on?

Marie: Rue Jaques y Mouilllard.

Steve: Rue Jaques y Mouillard. Oui. D'accord. We'll wait here.

(a siren is heard)

lights out

Le troisieme ideƩ

Three loud pops are heard, a gun? Matt enters panting

Matt: Are you still open? I could use a drink. Whiskey? Brandy?

Celeste glances at Monsieur who nods and he goes to the bar

Celeste: Whiskey?

Matt: Yes, please. He downs it in one swallow and sets the glass indicating another. Celeste receives another nod from Monsieur and refills. Matt takes just a sip of this) Thanks. Sorry, I'm a bit jumpy.

Monsieur: What is the matter monsieur.

Matt: Oh, had a bit of a fright. I'd come out for a walk....such a beautiful night...then I thought I was being followed...I sped up my walk, you know how you do—like a criminal couldn't keep up right? (drinks) And then gun shots, I think, and I look back and it looks like a body in the street and I started running.

A siren is heard, Matt jumps

Steve: I'll finish putting up the tables (he heads outside and begins pulling table up near the wall and stacking chairs on them. Flashing lights illuminate him and a policeman comes up and talks to him. We can see Steve recounting the story we've just heard, then the policeman enters.)

Policeman: Monsieur. Celeste. Bon soir.

Monsieur: I fear not.

Policeman: No. You are right. And who is your guest? (Matt has kept his back to them)

Monsieur: Ah, this monsieur Matt, an Americain. I am afraid I do not know his last name, but he and his wife have been here several times in the last few days.

Policeman: Monsieur? Sir. (Matt turns)

Matt: I don't speak French.

Policeman: I speak some English. If we need more I am sure Steve can help us. (Steve stays busy out front.) May I see your passport?

Matt: Um, not sure to be honest. It may be at the hotel. Yes, I'm sure it is, but I have my driver's license.

Policeman (looking it over): And you are here for?

Matt: Vacation. My wife and I, and I wanted to see tomorrow's launch.

Policeman: There has been a shooting. Steve indicated you may have been a witness. Is this so?

Matt: I don't know. Maybe. I guess. As I guess he told you, I heard someone following me, then I heard shots and looked back and it looked like someone lying in the road and I ran here.

Policeman: Ran?

Matt: Yes. I think so.

Policeman (to the others): Was he running?

Celeste: I don't know he just was here. He was certainly a bit winded, startled, scared.

Policeman: Steve, did the Americain run here?

Steve (shrugs): I don't know. We were inside talking and then he was standing with us. I guess he didn't run in.

Matt: I think I stopped running when I saw the light; it felt safe you know? Why is it so important?

Policeman: Just making sure what happened. Did you know the victim?

Matt: I told you I looked back and saw something in the street that I assumed was a body—if it was I don't know who it is, so I don't know whether I knew them or not.

Policeman: Do you know Mdala Diouf?

Matt: No. Wait, Mdala? Yes, maybe. I met a man, an African I think, who was protesting the space program.

Policeman: And your wife?

Matt: What is this about? Yes, he met my wife too. What does that have to do with anything?

Policeman: He is the victim monsieur. 

Lights out


No comments:

Post a Comment