Sunday, June 26, 2011

3.2 day 37

3.2 begins

Jacob enters

Jacob (to Celeste): Good morning or is it afternoon? Well, I was wondering if you'd had any news of Gil? I've got Marie's phone number, but I hesitate to call her . . . I

Celeste: I know nothing. (Jacob sags, Celeste relents somewhat) Jeanette was here with the Americans. She called Marie . . . it seemed like good news.

Jacob: Praise God. (he seems to drop into silent prayer, perhaps even holding his hands as such)

Celeste turns back to his work. Jacob finishes his prayer and sits at an outdoor table; Celeste keeps working; after some time Jacob looks around to see if he will be waited on

Jacob (calling in to Celeste): Is it possible to order?

Celeste (calling back): Oui, but there is no waiter on duty. If you would order at the bar, I will bring it when ready.

Jacob debates leaving, acquiesces and walks back into the bar and places his order and on his return to his table crosses near Monsieur

Jacob: Bon jour monsieur, comment allez vous?

Monsieur: Eh bien. Et vous?

Jacob: Well thank you. And grateful to God there is good news about Gil.

Monsieur: And would you be angry with him if there were not?

Jacob: I would submit to his will (and he goes to his table. Monsieur simply watches him).

Marie starts to enter, sees Jacob retreats, then appears inside talking to Celeste—a conversation which becomes increasingly animated

Marie: No one's gone to look? You just assume! (she exits out front past Jacob)

Celeste: Marie! I'm sure he's (she is gone) Sacré

Jacob: What's the problem? (Celeste shrugs and returns to bar goes into kitchen and returns with food for Jacob which he brings out delivers without comment) Thank you.

Celeste: Salud.

Monsieur: Celeste, qu'est que c'est?

Celeste: Marie asked about Steve. I said he didn't come in. She asked why, I said I didn't know . . .

Monsieur: And?

Celeste: And I told her what we were talking about last night, and that you had said he was wasting away. . .

Monsieur: Yes?

Celeste: She became upset. Said what if he committed suicide, obviously it is on her mind . . . and that she couldn't understand why we had not tried to contact him. I told her I had telephoned.

Jacob: Am I to understand that you told your waiter he was a waste and then ignored the situation when he did not show up?

Celeste: Monsieur it is none of your business.

Jacob: Human beings are my business. You . . . atheists . . . may not care what happens to anyone

Monsieur: Assez! Monsieur Jacob, this is indeed not your affair. In addition you have no basis on which to assert that I or Celeste or anyone else you have met in the last two days does or does not care about other human beings.

Jacob: Oh, you can try and talk your way out of it, but now you're the one who's just refusing to accept responsibility for what you have done.

Monsieur: I have never not accepted my responsibility.

Jacob: Celeste just said you told this young man his life was a waste

Monsieur: That is not what I said nor is what Celeste just said. You insist on making things up so that you can be dramatic.

Jacob: It's exactly what he said!

Monsieur: Calm yourself. It is not. He said, as I did, that Monsieur Steve, he was wasting away. The context . . .

Jacob: Oh now with the contextual ethics . . .

Monsieur: Monsieur, you are quite overwrought. (Jacob collapses)

No comments:

Post a Comment