Friday, June 24, 2011

3.1 rev'd and complete

Up at 4:30 to get Laura to the airport for a business trip, so time to sit and work with the script this morning. Revised and finished 3.1. Realized Steve isn't there for breakfast, so besides getting my facts straight it helped set the scene right too and set up where I'm headed. If you've been reading, no big changes early on other than giving Celeste most of Steve's lines and work, so you can skip down to Jacob's entrance, where more things change.


Act Three
Scene 1

Morning Matt and Mdala are having breakfast at separate tables but conversing.

Mdala: Senegal. I came here 14 years ago to help build a hydroelectric plant. I'd meant to go home and work there, but another project came along...and probably more importantly, a woman.

Matt: Ah.

Mdala: It didn't last, or lasted only long enough for me to settle here. Now perhaps it's time to go. There is work to be done in my homeland, and sitting here protesting something that is not going to change in a country that is not really mine does not make sense.

Matt: You could stop protesting.

Mdala (leaping at the bait): Rockets are a major polluter. The space center destroyed thousands of acres of forest just to be built. Every launch spews the pollution equivalent a day of New York City traffic—and equals it in noise.

Matt: Every new technology brings problems, I'll grant. That's no reason to halt progress. We learn how to control those problems by having them, and often through something we've learned in the process of developing that technology to begin with.

Mdala: God gave us this world in a functioning state. We've completely fouled it up and your argument is to keep fouling up more?

Matt: If you're arguing for a static earth—that God had made something in which everything just worked in perfect balance, you're arguing for something for which there is no evidence, and that means going back before humans entered the scene.

Mdala: Evidence generated by your technology. No. Mine was a metaphor. Take god out of the equation, the point is the Earth needs our help and launching rockets into space isn't helping.

Matt: The environmental movements biggest boost came from the Apollo photo “earth rise over the moon.” That photo galvanized the world into recognizing the tiny place we lived and how important it was to help it. So, actually, space flight did help save the earth and continues to do so. Most of what we know about environmental problems and their scope we monitor by satellite.

Mdala: So we pollute to conquer?

Matt: We advance, and we create trash. You would stop humankind?

Mdala: I would ch . . . (he stops himself) . . .What do you protest?

Matt: What do I protest?

Mdala: Surely there is something in the world you think should change.

Matt: Well, I guess so, sure.

Mdala: So what do you do to make that change?

Matt (pausing): I guess I don't.

Mdala (waits for him to continue and speaks only when he does not do so): Then why live?

Matt: Aren't you stretching the topic? Turning a legitimate disagreement into a theological issue?

Mdala: Alright, then where's your advancement? If you aren't actively pursuing change aren't you just as much “stopping” humankind as you claim I am?

Matt: Why can't I “actively” support the space program just as you “actively” try to stop it.

Mdala: Because it doesn't need you? Going along with the status quo isn't being active. You are right, “active” does not have to be negative, but you can't claim to be active just because you are paddling you're boat toward the waterfall.

Celeste (approaching): Anything else for either of you?

Matt (relieved at the interruption): No, just my check. I need to be heading out. Where's Steve? Too early for him?

Celeste: Yes a bit early yet.

Mdala: Another coffee I think, merci.

Anne (enters): Matt. Mdala. How are you?

Mdala: Very well thank you.

Celeste brings coffee for Mdala and check to Matt

Anne: Are you leaving?

Matt: Well I thought I'd...you weren't here...but (glances at Mdala) now that you are we I'll stay. Bring a menu would you Steve?

Celeste: Of course. Coffee for madame?

Anne: Oui, merci. Crème et sucre.

Celeste: Mais, d'accord. And you monsieur?

Matt: What? Yes, please, another coffee, and a menu I think.

Celeste: Of course.

Jeanette (enters waves to everyone; Mdala indicates she can join him at his table and she does so): Bon jour.
Matt: Bon Jour Jeanette, comment allez vous?

Jeanette: Tres bien, monsieur, et vous?

Matt: Eh?

Anne: He's fine Jeanette. You seem to be up bright and early.

Jeanette (sensing a dig): Do you think so?

Matt: Of course she is; it's the big day!

Mdala: Ah, I have surrounded myself.

Jeanette (smiles): Ah, monsieur Mdala, I am sorry you do not like the rockets. Would you prefer your table back?

Anne: Oh, I'm sure he can tolerate your presence for a little bit, can't you Mdala?

Jeanette (smiling, on the attack): Or perhaps you and I could trade places Anne.

Celeste returns with Anne and Matt's coffees and menus.

Celeste: Jeanette, good morning. Getting an early start for the launch? (Anne gloats)

Jeanette: Coffee (glance to Anne) and a Bloody Mary, bread, cheese.

Anne: I think just a croissant for me.

Jeanette: Not hungry? Sex always leaves me famished. (Anne wants to respond but realizes there is no winning response).

Jacob and Marie enter together, everyone freezes as they approach. Both are obviously upset.

Celeste: Marie?

Marie: It's Gil. He (she leans against Jacob) He tried to commit suicide last night.

Celeste: Sacré. Tried? So he's....?

Marie: In the hospital. I don't know what he found. Pills, booze, and drank something else, I don't know. (Celeste pulls out a chair, she sits. He looks at Jacob questioningly).

Jacob: Another person at my meeting was going in for surgery this morning. I went to the hospital to see her and bumped into Marie.

Jeanette: I'm so sorry Marie, I...

Marie (wiping away tears and looking around): Where's monsieur? (Everyone except Celeste looks around expectantly and he is not at his table)

Celeste (obviously concerned): He called (his tone indicates this itself is unusual), said he was tired this morning and said he would come in later.

Marie: Tired? He is always here. He is . . . I need him.

Jacob: I'm sure it's okay. The gentleman is very old. Surely you can allow him to be tired.

Jeanette: It is like saying the sun is tired monsieur. If the sun rose two hours late, you'd worry.

Jacob: I realize he has been very regular. But whereas the sun cannot change it's course . . .

Monsieur: Non? Then there is another story put to rest. (he enters from the direction of the beach but fully dressed: he does not seem particularly different except perhaps that he seems to be working to maintain normalcy)

Celeste (relieved): Ah, bon jour Monsieur. (he pulls his chair out for him).

Monsieur (still standing): I have arrived in the middle of something, yes?

Steve: It's Gil Monsieur. Marie says that he has tried to commit suicide and is at the hospital.

Monsieur: Bon, then he is making choices.

Marie (looking up bewildered): Bon! Bon? He's in the hospital and you say Bon!

Monsieur: I am sorry mademoiselle, I did not mean to be unkind. Of course I am not happy he is in pain. But, he is alive, non? Then he now knows life is a choice. (He crosses to Marie puts his hand on her shoulder) I do not think he will choose against it again. (He looks closely at her) I had to work harder to make that choice today as well. (she reaches up and lays her hand on his)

Jacob: There is help for those who will accept it.

Monsieur (gently): Non. Every one they must make that choice themselves, each time, every time alone.

Jacob: You are merely obstinate monsieur, and pride yourself that you make this choice yourself.

Monsieur: You got lucky monsieur and ever since you have avoided making the choice for yourself by pretending that it was made for you. Someday, you will have to choose for yourself.

Jacob: I am disgusted. You all claim Gil is your friend, but he is in the hospital and none of you are doing anything about it except using it as a chance to deny God.

Marie: I do not deny him monsieur. I was at the hospital. You were the one who suggested I leave.

Celeste: We have only just received this news. As you say, he is in hospital, and I believe we assumed since Marie is here, that now is not the time for us to rush there. As for your god...

Jacob: He's not mine.

Monsieur: It is too tempting to ask if it is not you who are denying him now, (Jacob starts to speak Monsieur gestures) tempting but I will not. I am tired of the arguments circulaire. You believe, bon. Act on your belief. I act on mine.

Jacob: I do.

Monsieur: Then please proceed and let us discuss our friend.

Jacob: Are you sending me away.

Celeste: Did you wish to order something?

Jacob: I . . . why am I being excluded?

Celeste: Monsieur, you are not being excluded. You are intruding.

Marie: Celeste, Monsieur, he was kind enough to bring me here, I owe him better courtesy than this.

Monsieur: Of course, as you wish Marie. Celeste, some coffee please, and water too I think. Bread. (he crosses to his table and Celeste heads in)

Mdala: Pardon mademoiselle, I am sorry for your friend and hope he is better soon. I will leave you with your friends. (He nods to Anne and Matt suggesting they should also exit.)

Matt: What?

Anne: Yes, of course. Marie, if there's anything I can do for you.

Marie: Yes, thank you. You don't have to leave. Have your breakfast. It's not like we're discussing some great secret.

Anne: You're sure.

Marie: Of course. (And finally acknowledging Jeanette) and Jeanette, please stay. I'm sorry too, join me. (Jeanette leave's Mdala's table and comes to Marie's, they embrace ).

Anne: How? When?

Jacob: I knew one of us should have gone with him.

Marie: What do you mean?

Jacob: Last night, Gil came to my meeting.

Marie (dubious): Really?

Jacob: God calls many who do not expect to hear him.

Marie: Gil said god called him to you?

Jacob: No. It doesn't work like that, well sometimes it does, but no, he just walked into the hall, stumbled really. He was quite drunk.

Marie: So he wasn't coming to see you.

Jacob: We never know what moves us.

Monsieur: We do. We just often deny our own knowledge.

Jacob: Fine, then he knew what he was doing coming in, he just did not acknowledge it.

Monsieur: Ah, I did not mean to deny accidents. If I trip on the way to the bathroom, it is not a supernatural message.

Jacob: Perhaps not, but it could be. (Monsieur starts to respond and Marie stops him)

Marie: N'importe! What happened then?

Jacob: Well after it was over I talked to him. I'd seen him at dinner here, so recognized him.

Maire: And?

Jacob: He was upset, I told him everything that happened was God's will and that he could be healed by god as well.

Marie: And he agreed with this?

Jacob: He wasn't really talking much. Anyway after he was a bit recovered I suggested we come back here. I figured his friends were here and someone would see him home. But. When I got here, Steve sort of chased me away and implied I was just trying to exploit him and when Gil decided to go see you.

Marie: That was his idea?

Jacob: Uh, yes, I think so. Why. Is it important?

Jeanette: Of course it's important.

Jacob: Yes, I'm sure it was his. Anyway I offered to walk with him and he said he needed “space.” I told Steve someone should go with him and Steve said he was fine. I'm sure that's where things went wrong. Someone should have been with him.
Marie: Someone was. He'd called me, remember? He came. I was there for him.

Jacob (too demandingly): So what happened?

Jeanette: Who are you, the magistrate? Mind your own business.

Jacob: I think it is . . .

Celeste (placing his hand on his shoulder): It is not. Mademoiselle asked that we show you courtesy. Such things are reciprocal.

Jacob: Take your hand . . . (Celeste begins lifting his shoulder and so him) . . . alright. I'm just concerned like everyone else. But I can see I'm not welcome. (He stands and Celeste releases him).

Marie: Monsieur . . . why do you make everything a judgement, on others, on yourself?

Jacob starts, hesitates, and leaves exasperated. Anne takes this as a cue to pay attention to her breakfast leaving Marie and Jeanette “alone.”

Marie starts crying

Jeanette: What is it? Marie?

Marie: Oh god it may be my fault. He came in and we talked, things seemed better between us. We, we even made love, and then. . .

Jeanette: Yes?

Marie: I told him I was pregnant. (Jeanette snorts knowingly) No. No, he seemed fine. Shocked yeah, but he didn't freak out or say anything stupid.

Jeanette: Like “how did this happen” or “is it mine?”

Marie: (a little laugh) Yeah, nothing like that.

Jeanette: So, then?

Marie: We slept. He must have gotten up sometime later and . . . oh I shouldn't have told him he didn't need this too.

Jeanette: Nor did you, but you both have both. It wasn't unfair of you.

Marie: You sure? I should call Steve, see if he has anything to add to Jacob's version. (she calls) Steve? It's Marie. Give me a call ok? It's Gil. He . . . he's in hospital.

Celeste brings Matt and Anne they're bill in the background and they pay, Anne comes over to the table.

Anne: As I said Marie if there's anything we can do. You have my number. We'll be going up to the launch a little later, but I'm going to get a swim in first. (Pauses) Jeanette if you'd like a ride, we can give you one.

Jeanette (hesitates): Thank you, that would be nice.

Anne: Meet you here for lunch then?

Jeanette: Okay, yes. (looks at Marie) If anything changes I'll call. (Anne nods)

Anne: My best Marie, for you and Gil.

Marie (stands and hugs): Thank you.

Celeste brings fruit, bread, and cheese to the table

Celeste: You should eat something. If this doesn't suit. . .

Marie (tearing up): Thank you Celeste, this is fine.

Lights out


















No comments:

Post a Comment