Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Yet more of 3.1 (day 33)

I like much of what's going on here, but am becoming increasingly aware that I have a lot of structural work to do. I've been looking at Act I and thinking how changes there would affect II etc.  For now I'll keep plugging along, but at some point I'll probably have to stop and do some revision before I can see the end. Not sure just how I'll handle that kind of work in this daily format, but we'll see. In the meantime, Friday morning continues. (and a nod to Steve who did wonderful things playing off of yesterday's post).


Jeanette: Not hungry? Sex always leaves me famished. (Anne wants to respond but realizes there is no winning response).

Jacob and Marie enter together, everyone freezes as they approach. Both are obviously upset.

Steve: Marie?

Marie: It's Gil. He (she leans against Jacob) He tried to commit suicide last night.

Steve: Dear god. Tried? So he's....?

Marie: In the hospital. I don't know what he found. Pills, booze, and drank something else, I don't know. (Steve pulls out a chair, she sits. He looks at Jacob questioningly).

Jacob: Another person at my meeting was going in for surgery this morning. I went to the hospital to see her and bumped into Marie.

Jeanette: I'm so sorry Marie, I...

Marie (wiping away tears and looking around): Where's monsieur? (Everyone except Steve looks around expectantly and he is not at his table)

Steve (obviously concerned): Celeste said that he was tired this morning and said he would come in later.

Marie: Tired? He is always here. He is . . . I need him.

Jacob: I'm sure it's okay. The gentleman is very old. Surely you can allow him to be tired.

Jeanette: It is like saying the sun is tired monsieur. If the sun rose two hours late, you'd worry.

Jacob: I realize he has been very regular. But whereas the sun cannot change it's course . . .

Monsieur: Non? Then there is another story put to rest. (he enters from the direction of the beach but fully dressed: he does not seem particularly different except perhaps that he seems to be working to maintain normalcy)

Celeste (bustling out from behind the bar) Ah, bon jour Monsieur. (he pulls his chair out for him).

Monsieur (still standing): I have arrived in the middle of something, yes?

Steve: It's Gil Monsieur. Marie says that he has tried to commit suicide and is at the hospital.

Monsieur: Bon, then he is making choices.

Marie (looking up bewildered): Bon! Bon? He's in the hospital and you say Bon!

Monsieur: I am sorry mademoiselle, I did not mean to be unkind. Of course I am not happy he is in pain. But, he is alive, non? Then he now knows life is a choice. (He crosses to Marie puts his hand on her shoulder) I do not think he will choose against it again. (He looks closely at her) I had to work harder to make that choice today as well. (she reaches up and lays her hand on his)

Jacob: There is help for those who will accept it.

Monsieur (gently): Non. Every one they must make that choice themselves, each time, every time alone.

Jacob: You are merely obstinate monsieur, and pride yourself that you make this choice yourself.

Monsieur: You got lucky monsieur and ever since you have avoided making the choice for yourself by pretending that it was made for you. Someday, you will have to choose for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I can see how changes made need to be carefully followed through backwards and how difficult that can be. I just change a simple thing like a name of a character and missed a spot. I love editing and yet something still manages to slip by sometimes.

    ReplyDelete