Wednesday, June 15, 2011

finishing 2.6 on 26


Jacob: Gil, perhaps we could get something together up at Tres Palmes. It might be easier to talk where there are not so many memories.

Gil: What's wrong with here?

Jacob: It might be easier to talk where there are not so many memories.

Steve: Suit yourself Gil. You're always welcome here...where you've always been welcome.

Jacob: If you'd rather stay here Gil.

Gil: I want to see Marie.

Steve: I think that's a really good idea.

Jacob: Is it? She seems to be the source of a lot of …. stress.

Steve (steadily): Monsieur our sources of stress are frequently are greatest sources of support as well. Gil and Marie have a lot to deal with now, and I think we would best help them by giving them the space to deal with it.

Jacob: I'm not interfering.

Steve: Yes. You are.

Jacob: A young man comes to me . . .

Gil: I'm not sure where my phone is... oh, got it.

Steve: No. A young man blundered into a room where a man who had been scouting the local scene recognized him.

Gil: Marie? Yeah, listen, sorry. Can I.......sure. Sure, meet me at my place.

Jacob: Are you implying...?

Steve: Gil, you need a hand getting home?

Gil: No. I'm good. Thanks. Look see you in the morning okay?

Steve: Ciao, dude.

Gil grins

Jacob: I'm headed back that way.

Gil: Thanks. I appreciate the talk, but I just need a little head space on the walk and then some time with my girl.

Jacob: You still look unsteady.

Steve: If you think I'd let you take him alone, you're wrong.

Jacob: What is wrong with you! Your friend needs help.

Steve: And he's headed straight for it.

Jacob: You're an enabler you know that. That's the problem with places like this. No one can see beyond their little circle. There are bigger things in this world then this bar.

Monsieur: Ah, non.

Jacob: What! You're saying this is all there is?

Monsieur: Non. You are saying there is more. I am saying it is all here. You do not need space, or foreign vistas, or a bigger city. Once I had no more room to move than if you put four walls around this table. At first it was hard. But, as maman used to say, you can get used to anything. And I realized finally, that I could see the whole world through my little window, indeed simply in the cracks in my walls. I could be trapped in a tree trunk or chimney and see just one little square of sky above you and I'd still have the whole world. Non monsieur, there is nothing bigger than this bar.

Jacob: God is bigger.

Monsieur: If you cannot find him in this bar, than he is not big enough to be everywhere. (Jacob starts to respond) And if you can find him here? Then there is nowhere bigger.


1 comment: