Saturday, June 25, 2011

Beginning 3.2 Day 36

Soon to be inundated by teenagers for my daughter's 14th-birthday party and I need to get the cake iced still. So here's today's progress.


Scene 2

Late morning, Celeste approaches Monsieur at his table

Celeste: Monsieur. Monsieur? (no response, Celeste gently reaches forward and realizes Monsieur is asleep) Dormez vous Monsieur? Eh bien, let him sleep. (He walks onto the sidewalk area and looks as though hoping to see someone.) Il est étrange. (He heads back to the bar.)

Enter Anne and Matt who take a seat at a table

Celeste: Bon jour Madame et Monsieur
Anne: Bon jour Celeste. Ou est Steve?

Celeste: Je ne sais pas. Il est étrange. Il est toujours a l'heure.

Matt: What is it?

Anne: Steve hasn't come in and he's never done that before.

Matt: Well maybe he got lucky last night. Didn't Jeanette suggest she had. They seem like they'd be a good couple.

Anne: But she was here this morning, and he's never missed before---and I doubt that he's never gotten “lucky” before, as you put it.

Matt (shrugging): How should I put it?

Celeste (who has been waiting patiently): Café?

Anne: Oui, deux.

Celeste: Crème et sucre, non?

Anne: Oui pour moi, mais il aura sa noir.

Celeste: Un moment.

Matt: No wine?

Anne: Not if I'm going to be standing in the sun all afternoon. Did you want a beer or something? Sorry, when he asked I just went for it.

Matt: It's fine. I can get one at the launch I'm sure.

Jeanette arrives

Anne: Ah, bon jour Jeanette. (she half rises and they do the cheek pecks about three feet from each other)

Jeanette: Bon jour Anne. Matt (who has stood gets real cheek pecks, since he's right there. Like all Americans he's not quite sure what to do about it)

Celeste: Voila. (sets coffees and service down) Jeanette?

Jeanette (looks at the coffees and rejects the idea): Vin s'il vous plait.

Celeste: Bon.

Anne: I get headaches if I drink and stand in the sun.

Jeanette: We might be able to find some shade.

Anne: Thanks but unless you could find an air conditioner too, I'll wait till evening.

Matt: Any secret locations to watch the launch from or are we best just to go to the main viewing area?

Jeanette: I like to be as close as I can—to feel it not just see it. But there is a spot in the mountains where you can see the launch pad and watch the lift off for as long as its visible.

Anne: Is it cooler in the mountains.

Jeanette: Not really. It might be better than the viewing area. But it is quite far away.

Matt: I think the viewing area would be better. There will be concessions and toilet facilities there Anne.

Anne: Ok it's your show.

Jeanette: I just want to give Marie a quick call and see if there's news. (calls) Marie? Ça va? . . . mmm . . .eh bien. Tonight? That's good. Do you need help. We should be back from the launch by then. . . . Steve? (Looks around) No, I don't see him.

Anne: Celeste said he's not here.

Jeanette: Pardon?

Anne: Celeste said he's not here.

Jeanette: Celeste says he is not here Marie. Non, I don't know. Ok, I'll call you tonight. You call if you need me. (to Anne) That's strange Steve not being here. Celeste! (she goes in and returns shaking her head) He says he tried calling and got no answer. I think he's actually getting a little angry. He doesn't really like to wait tables.

Matt: Well I'm sure he'll turn up. We should be going.

Anne: Ok, ok dear. We're coming. (all exit).

No comments:

Post a Comment