Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 72 Entry 15

I apparently forgot to post this yesterday after sending it directly to my siblings.


ENTRY 15
The last day of the trip; there is one more entry titled “Conclusion.”

Tuesday Aug. 7, '31.
Hub Cottage, Newport
Ore.
We managed to bathe and finish washing our clothes this morning before packing up to meet the mail carrier. Even so we rushed at the last minute so Matt packed my tooth brush before I had a chance to use it. And inspite of my going thru the place twice before leaving we off without our good rope used as a clothes line. I was very sorry to loose [sic—argh! My pet peeve in student essays] that line.
We had an hour's wait for the post woman but enjoyed the ride to Newport – Here we had to ferry again.
Roamed about, seeing the sights of the town having dinner and hunting a cottage. WE finally took one of the Hub cottages just off Coast Street and were comfortable for the night.
We had much argument on Russia and War and what have you.
During the afternoon we bought copies of the Reader's Digest and the Magazine Digest which we read and reread aloud down on the beach.
I don't care much for Newport – it is too
[the rest o f this sentence is on the back side of the page and starts as below. I've no idea why this date is here, perhaps a pre-labeled page from the journal that got used here?]

crowded and noisy. Wednesday, July 5, '31
We got up much later than planned so we had to scrambe to pack up and catch our stage for Portland leaving at 8 Am.
After buying much supplies in the way of sausage af fuit etc. we had to breakfast on bread and butter and red raspberries. There was not itme to cook anything. And again Matt had my tooth brush packed before I had time to use it.
But we caught our stage.
We had a fair time in Newport – bought a trick toy for Daddy/Matt) a Westclox $100 watch or pocket clock, some cards, magazine and plenty fruit. Matt won a prize at a shooting gallery.
The ride home was beautiful. There is much desirable land along the coast just this side of Newport but my choice of the coast is just south of Yahats.
We arrived home a little before three Pm.
We went sea bathing just once in the two weeks.














No comments:

Post a Comment