Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 92


Scene 14
The porch empty, clearly unused.A couple and Jaime show up. Jaime has a key and is touring them around the place.

Jaime: It's a nice place. Folks here before were getting ready to restart the orchard.

Woman: Really? Could you?

Jaime: Oh certainly. They had filed for the water rights and it was all set.

Man: Then why didn't they do it?

Jaime: They were from the east.

Woman: So are we. Does that stop someone?

Jaime: Pardon. No senora. I just meant they weren't from nearby and something happened back where they used to live. So, they couldn't stay.

Man: Ah. Well, I think were pretty safe from that. We don't have the “sandwich” problem. Our folks are gone and we didn't have children.

Woman: An orchard would be nice; it seems cozy somehow.

Jaime: They do require care.

Man: I'll bet you know someone who could do the work.

Jaime (a pause): Well, si, yes, of course. Though if you want to be profitable . . .

Man: Well, I don't want to pour money down the drain, but I've made my bundle. A little loss-leader might be just the thing for Uncle Sam anyway.




1 comment: