Monday, August 22, 2011

Day 90


May: What is the problem?

Henry: No idea? Seriously?

May: Seriously.

Henry: Ok. I'll get back to my book then. (he exits inside).

May: Henry? (she grabs duffel and heads inside) Henry. (Henry appears briefly at side of house heading off toward orchard. A few moments later May reappears on porch and calls out) Henry?

Fade to black.

Scene 12
later that day

(May is sitting on porch with an absent expression. Jaime approaches)

Jaime: Senora, you are back. I heard you were in town, so came out.

May: What's been going on?

Jaime: Going on?

May: What have you and Henry been up to?

Jaime: Senora, I came out right after you left. I told him how much it pleased me that you wanted to run the place, not just, just live here. He didn't seem to think much of that. But then a few days later I heard he was moving on the water rights.

May: And what did you do then?

Jaime: Nothing. He said you hadn't made a decision but you were leaning against it.

May: I was leaning against it?

Jaime: No. The two of you. He said, “We haven't made a decision.”

May: But then he did I guess.

Jaime (shaking his head): I don't think so. My friend is a friend of your lawyer's. He said he was like all gringos, pardon, just trying to get the water for himself.

May: No. Well, I don't think so. He said it wouldn't make any sense to be thinking about the orchard unlesss we knew for sure we could get the water.

Jaime: There are no guarantees on a farm. You can have all the paper and the plans in the world, and if the rains don't come, or the locusts do . . .

May: We would say all the more reason to have as much secured as you can.

Jaime: No guarantees, nothing is ever secured.

May: Well, I wouldn't use that argument on Henry or you'll never see us a pick an apple.

Jaime: Are you going to do it?

May: I . . . 30 minutes ago I would have said no. I don't know. I need to find Henry.

Black

No comments:

Post a Comment