Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 78 scene 2 Deserted

Scene 2
(morning a few days later. May is sitting on the porch drinking coffee, knees up. We hear the sound of tires on gravel, then the engine shuts off, and a man in bib overalls enters from offstage)

Bill (speaks with a southwestern drawl): Mornin'. You May Wethersfield?

May (standing): I am indeed and you're Bill Perkins.

Bill: I am. So what's this about your apple trees.

May (crosses off porch to Bill and gestures to the opposite side of the stage from where Bill entered): Well, we've got at least 10 acres my husband says and I want to know what it would take to put them back in . . . not sure what you call it . . . production?

Bill: Why?

May: Why? Because it seems wrong to just let them go. They should be cared for and . . . and the apples eaten.

Bill: Apples are good eatin' alright but you don't need 10 acres to get you all the fresh apples and applesauce, and apple pies that you'll ever eat.

May: Well I thought we could sell them too.

Bill: Maybe. Maybe you can maybe you can't. But even if you can, you won't make money. That's why I ask why? What are you hopin' to do?

Henry (enters onto the porch): Good question. What are hoping to do May? Forget about a year, you haven't lasted a second month without trying to go back to work.

May: I'm not trying to go back to work. I just think it's a shame to let the orchard go to rot. You wouldn't call it working if I planted roses, what's the difference?

Henry: You wouldn't try to sell the roses. Hold that, maybe you would.

1 comment: