Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 80 more deserted

For Monday 8-8. Posted a day late

Sc. 3 cont'd.


May: I promise, I'm not going to blow all our savings on some crazy idea. You have to admit when I do give birth to a project they tend to work.

Henry: I know. That's probably what scares me most. Fine. Go for it. I mean go for the research.

May: Deal. (they toast)

Scene 4
(next day Bill and Jaime enter from the direction of orchards with May)

Jaime: Si. But the trees are strong. Most of them. Repairing the acequia will be the biggest work, and you know better than me what the legal status of that is.

Bill: That's about it May. The trees are in ok shape; put a crew on them and you could get them all pruned up and ready for next season without any problem. But since the whole things been subdivided, the status of the acequia is really questionable. First there's a lot of repair just within your section, but the feeder runs across other land and even if they cooperate your right to the water is not a given. All that's for the lawyers. From what I know, if you convince them it's a farm, the access across other property isn't an issue, but the larger water rights issue—I don't know.

May: So, I'll probably spend more on legal fees than for the work?

Bill (laughing): Oh, lots more. The history of New Mexico is the history of courts and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment