Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 79 Sc. 2 cont'd Sc. 3 begun

Sc. 2 cont'd

May: Am I to understand your intention is only to write the great American novel, not publish it?

Bill: Umm. . .

May: Oh, I'm sorry. Look, let's just walk down to the orchard and just tell me what it would take to turn them into a functioning orchard. Maybe you'll convince me it's pointless or too expensive, or even impossible, or maybe I'll convince you and my husband it's a harmless retirement activity.

Henry: Have fun. (he goes back in)

Bill: I don't like coming between a couple -

May (interrupting): You're not. We'd squabble with or without you. We should be more embarrassed about it, but we're so used to it we hardly notice. Believe me, it would never occur to Henry to see you as a co-conspirator.

Bill: Ok, then. Well let's go see what condition they're in. I think Grady kept them going for quite awhile, so they may not be too overgrown. Certainly they'll need pruning. (they head offstage)

Henry (reappearing on porch with laptop): Nobody writes for profit. Sometimes profit happens. There's always the Stephen Kings and J.K. Rowlings, but literature? Not likely.

Sc. 3
(Evening that same day. Both on porch drinking beer.)

May: How'd the writing go?

Henry: Good, good. I've got the outline complete I think and keep doing little character sketches to try to get at least all the major characters firmed up. I think I can start really drafting tomorrow.

May: Really? That's great.

Henry: Yeah. It feels good. Like I'm really doing it, can keep doing it. How many vacations have I spent “starting”?

May: A lot. (he starts to bristle) No. I'm with you, I understand. When you can't feel like you can just keep going . . .

Henry: Yes, that's the thing. So, now you understand why I really needed us to retire?

May: Yes. But,

Henry: But what?

May: Give me a chance. But, here's the deal, you needed this. I understand. But I was still ok with working. I'm not saying I was in the midst of some great project, but I wasn't burnt out either. Now I'm here. You've got your novel. I don't. That's why I need something.

Henry: Apples?

May: Why not?

Henry: Well, because we could spend a lot of money (she starts to speak) and maybe we're not doing badly but we're not Rockefellers either. Writing my novel doesn't cost anymore than just sitting here really. Isn't there something a little cheaper you could do.

May: We don't even know what it'd cost yet. All I've done is start to inquire.

Henry: But once you start inquiring . . . projects are born.


1 comment:

  1. Hah! You've got me thinking that perhaps I should abandon writing and trim those grapevines! Nicely done, George.

    ReplyDelete