Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 87



Henry: No.

Jaime: You do not think there is such a thing as different cultures? You do not think the ways did not change when the anglos came first, and then when they came again after the war to build missiles, and now to . . . retire?

Henry: I think blaming a race for something is a pretty dangerous concept.

Jaime (smiles): In my experience anglos only feel that way when someone refers to them as a race.

Henry: Look, I'd be the first to admit that whi . . . anglos have held racist attitudes but that doesn't mean that reversing the process is any better.

Jaime: Yes, you are always the first to admit that. I will be going seƱor. I hope you reconsider the orchard.

Henry: I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Jaime: No, I won't.

Scene 9

(Henry alone on the porch, talking on the phone)

Henry: Well, it seems worth it just to establish our rights to the water. . . . . Yes, I understand that the right only holds if we actually are operating the grove, but we can't proceed with that without being sure we have the water rights. . . . . Can't we get the rights before we incorporate? . . . . Ok. Well try, and if we have to do the incorporation we will. But there's a cap, ok. If the costs of this start to spiral we pull the plug. . . . Ok.

(sighs, goes in and gets a beer and returns)

Henry: What in hell am I doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment