Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 77 Friday 8/5

DESERTED cont'd


W: Yes, uninterested. You said, “whatever.” My whatever was a walk.

M: It's almost dark. It'll be eight before we eat.

W: Oh, Henry there are whole civilized nations that consider that early for dinner. (she heads in the house).

M (muttering): Well not this civilized nation. (louder) “Whatever” does not mean “uninterested.”

W: (liltingly): Yes, it does dearest.

M: Hmmpf.

W: I wonder what it would cost to get our bit of orchard into shape.

M: Our bit of orchard? There's at least 10 acres down there. What do you mean “in shape”?

W: Producing apples?

M: Why?

W (coming to the door) People eat them. We could sell them to those people.

M (tired): May, we retired remember? We came here to your beloved desert. I don't know why they tried to turn it into orchards, but I can understand why they stopped.

W: They didn't just try, they did it. They didn't stop for anything other economics (returns to cooking inside).

M: Well that's a pretty damn good reason to stop—especially if you're living on a fixed income.

W: Henry, we are not exactly living hand to mouth on our social security and you know it.

M: But there's no new source of income is there?

W: Could be (we can here her smile) apples.

M: Oh for pete's sake you said it yourself, that's not income that's an expense.

W (backing through the screen door with two plates, which she delivers to a small table at one end of the porch): Humor dear. Could you get the drinks?

M: Sure, what do you want?

W (heading thru the door before him): Water . . . no I'll have a beer.

M (at door): I thought you wanted me to get them.

W: (coming back through with silverware) I do dear, there's more than just plates to fetch.

M (going in): Oh, of course. All right. Beer eh? Guess I will too.

(They almost collide as he comes back and out and she heads in)

M: I got them.
W: I believe you, still a few things for me to grab.

M: I could have gotten them if you'd asked. (He stands expectantly by the table)

W (returning with catsup, olives, etc.): Sit, sit. This is the last.

(They sit and there is a brief pause as they comtemplate the table, the lighting shifts to night)

M: No twilight here. Sun sets and it's lights out.

W: Oh, it's not that bad. Besides the stars are so bright you don't need twilight.

M (Holding up beer): To our first month of retirement.

W: To our first month. Think we'll make it a year?

No comments:

Post a Comment