Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 86

Scene 8


 (Henry alone on porch writing; Jaime approaches)

Jaime: Señor.

Henry: Hmm? Oh, hello. Uh, sorry forgot your name.

Jaime: Jaime Sanchez.

Henry: Ah, yes, Jaime. Good to meet you, I'm Henry.

Jaime: Si, is the señora home?

Henry: No, she's gone to visit our daughter for a few days, week really.

Jaime: Oh. Did she decide to procede?

Henry: We haven't decided yet, but I think we are leaning against it.

Jaime: Really? Ah, that is too bad.

Henry: Yes, well I'm sure you were looking forward to the work.

Jaime: A man must work, of course. But I was excited to see new people who wanted to preserve the orchards. All the anglos who come now, they want a “ranch” or “hacienda” but they do not want to do anything, unless in a few years it's to subdivide again. The señora seemed to want to keep the place alive.

Henry: We certainly aren't planning on subdividing, but trying to restart an industry wasn't in my plans either.

Jaime: It is odd, my great grandfather objected to the anglos fencing off lands and even to the orchards. Now i'm wishing the new anglos would keep them up.

Henry: I don't think it has anything to do with “anglos.”

Jaime: No?

1 comment:

  1. You're touching on all sorts of issues here, George. Gender, Age, Ethnic misconceptions and realities. Nice.

    ReplyDelete